Trade Mark Registration Services
Why Register a Trade Mark?
Businesses spend time, money and energy to build their brands. A single word, slogan or logo a trade mark – contains all your hard work and reputation. It’s the reason you drink Coca-Cola and not Yummy-Cola. It can become the most valuable asset your business owns.
By registering a trade mark, you:
- Protect your business (or artistic) identity from competition
- Discourage others from choosing a similar (or identical) mark, and can stop others from using a confusingly similar (or identical) one
- Protect your reputation and prevent your products or services being confused with other inferior quality products or services
- Can demand royalty payments from others that used your registered mark without permission
- Can securitise, license, franchise and sell your brand
- Have legal proof of the first use of your mark
- Have concrete proof of your brand ownership, which may save you the expense of arguing in court
- May avoid an expensive rebrand in future
- Increase your brand’s value
Trade Mark Registration
We can advise you on:
- Suitability of your brand for use and registration
- Protecting and increasing your brand’s value
- Other trade mark-related matters in South Africa and internationally
We search for similar brands on the South African Trade Mark Register (or abroad) that could block the registration of your trade mark. The results help us tailor our filing strategy, increasing the possibility of successful registration.
We will administer the entire registration process, ensuring your brand is legally protected and owned by you. This includes:
Step 1: Filing your mark
A trade mark is protected from the first moment of filing (if it proceeds to registration), which is the first step of the application process involved in registering your trade mark.
- Establish a filing strategy to increase the likelihood of successful registration
- Identify the applicable classes of products or services
- Prepare the specification of products or services for the relevant classes
- File applications with the Company and Intellectual Property Commission (CIPC)
Step 2: Examination of your mark
After about 12 months, CIPC will examine the application and either accept, provisionally refuse, or accept subject to conditions.
- Report the examiner’s response and strategize with you to comply with the
examiner’s conditions or overcome the provisional refusal
- Respond to the examiner satisfying their conditions or take steps to overcome
the provisional refusal
Step 3: Advertising and Registration
Once accepted, we will have your application advertised in the South African Patent Journal for opposition purposes.
- Provide a strategy and assist with negotiation or litigation, if an opposition
- Draft your registration certificate and finalize the procedure, if no opposition
is lodged or an opposition has been overcome
OTHER TRADE MARK SERVICES
We provide a range of other Trade Mark services.
Renewal and Ongoing Services
- Diarise and remind you when trade mark registrations become renewable
- Be the address for service for any correspondence related to the trade marks
- Notify you of any potentially conflicting trade marks
We offer services:
- Assigning a trade mark from one person to another and recording it on
- Changing the name or address of a trade mark owner on the Register
- Obtaining a new trade mark certificate
- Removing conflicting trade marks from the Register
- Restoring your trade marks that have been removed from the Register
- Many other services
Trade Mark Registration
Exact Match Search
We check whether your specific brand is already taken in your category of goods or services. This search may not locate confusingly similar brands.
We conduct a limited search of the most similar categories of goods or services for brands similar to yours and provide a short opinion on its availability, with 70% reliability.
R700.00 - R1 000.00
We conduct a full search of all similar categories of goods or services for brands similar to yours and provide a full opinion on its availability, with 95% reliability.
TRADE MARK APPLICATION
Trade Mark Application (first class)
Trade Mark Application (per additional class)
FINALIZATION OF REGISTRATION (12+ MONTHS AFTER FILING)
Finalizing trade mark registration (first class) (arranging advertising and registration certificate)
Finalizing trade mark registration (per additional class)